Things I like about Indiana

So actually my brother Taylor started this list. But I liked it and decided to write it on my blog so that the whole world can have a taste of Hoosier Terre Haute and my family here. Some are about Indiana, but most are about the Woodward side of my family. My grandparents just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary so a bunch of my aunts and uncles and cousins and cousin-in-laws were here.


  • The way my grandpa always tells too many details and it bugs the daylights out of my grandma. Today she told me that he skipped the days of school where they taught kids how to write short sentences.
  • The way that my grandpa always walks hunched over. Kinda like my brothers. They'll be lucky if they turn out like him though:)
  • The way my aunt April says "hey listen to this" when she wants people to hear a funny story. It's like a loud speaker announcing an anecdote.
  • The way that you can escape the billions of people at family gatherings when you need some alone time.
  • How you don't need to plan things. That's true of any vacation. Except the stressful ones where you do. But those are fun too. Just different from Indiana.
  • If you don't wake up until 8:30am, you're still one of the first people awake.
  • Finding out family gossip that my immediate family seems to never be a part of (yes, I realize I ended a sentence with preposition. whatever).
  • Fresh vegetables
  • Being adventurous
  • Shootin' guns (that was actually not me, but my brother who did the shootin' around here. once.)
  • Swimmin'
  • Making fun of Hoosiers' weight
  • The way my grandma says "they're going" to say they're dating
  • The way that people say what's on their minds, whether or not it's appropriate.
  • Butt grabbin'
  • Inappropriate jokes at all times
  • Political fieryness and the liberal leanings among my relatives. Sometimes more than leanings.
  • Whenever you start playing the piano, my grandpa comes over and starts humming and then asks you about the song and teaches you about some chord.
  • The way my grandma treats my grandpa like garbage even though they're still madly in love.
  • The look on my grandpa's face when people talk about his insane habits (such as freezing garbage, pouring strange liquids into milk and drinking them like bean juice, and reusing dental floss to save money)
  • Three words: chocolate covered bacon
  • Hearing the occasional "damn" and "hell"
  • Spouse abuse. In a humorous way.
  • False doctrine at church. Really false doctrine.
  • Relatives telling horrifically tragic stories about the locals (the indigenous people of Terre Haute)
  • The way my grandma eats one whale crumb at a time
  • The way April can command an army with the snap of her fingers
  • Spending time with family and the fact that Indiana looks like "India" but with a "-na" at the end. Mostly the family though. I'm blessed beyond belief! 

Comments

  1. oh man claire! you nailed it good! I laughed so much reading this. :) The only one I don't know how to do is get how to escape from people at a family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare: Not only did you nail it you sealed the lid!!! I could add a couple but I won't. Daina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

And help me not to fall into the abyss...