Quarter-life Crises, How to Solve Them, and How to Fall Back into Them



Two months of radio silence followed the release of the world’s Worst Christmas Movies, but it’s about time words spoke again.


Let’s review where I was at that point: graduated and excited for the future.
Let’s look at where I was in January: graduated and questioning my existence and purpose in life and believing I would remain a peasant forever.
Let’s look at where I am in February: graduated and excited for the future.


But soooooo much has changed since Christmas.


I started teaching German at a charter school at the beginning of January, which was great--except the limited hours available often left me whining to my mom as I stared hopelessly at the ceiling contemplating the lack of direction my life currently had.




I called this month-long period part of a quarter-life crisis, which is similar to a midlife crisis but comes sooner. #luckymillenials


How did I get through the plagues of an unwanted existential crisis during such a time?


Well I did five things in one week:
  1. I started another full time job that starts at 4am. Which means I work from 4am-2pmish every day with both jobs. And that I try to go to bed pretty early and not die.
  2. I signed up to run a marathon with my mom in April. Which admittedly made me pee my pants a little because 26.2 is a lot of miles and I’m reasonably terrified.
  3. I bleached my hair blonde. Which makes me happy.
  4. I bought a plane ticket to Europe for the whole month of July. Which released all sorts of serotonin in my brain and made me super stoked for the summer.
  5. I got accepted to two awesome PhD programs for German studies (and a third one the next week--Georgetown, Indiana University, and CU Irvine). Which literally made me weep tears of joy and sing praises to God while driving because this meant I had a future more than being a peasant.


I’ve had some significant lows since then--including but not limited to breaking into sobs at work after a phone call because I missed hanging out with my friends at night and living my old life--but overall these things helped me a lot. Because they gave me goals, purpose, serendipity, and a good shot of terror.But that’s what makes life good, right? We all need a little spike of terror and a sense of being blessed to get us going sometimes.

With so much to do, I have to save my quarter-life crisis meditation time for the weekends.

Usually after my 2+ hour runs because I can't move my body anymore anyways.
Also here is a talk about quarter-life crises. From me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLAxssCJy-8&t=29s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

How to feed your child and get repeatedly ill while doing it

The ninth month, birth, and postpartum