Thirteen Reasons To Save Worms


A few weeks ago, I was walking outside as the sun rose after a night a of rain. I love the smell and sound of rain--it's refreshing, soothing, and cathartic.

Worms like rain too. Whenever it rains, they always come out on the sidewalks and party like it's 1999.

Except then they are still partying with the sun comes and dries them up.

Such was the case on this particular morning as I looked down at the sidewalk and saw dozens of worms endeavoring to make their way back to the safety of the grass and several that had already failed and lost their lives in the struggle.

Laugh at me if you will, but I may or may not have started to tear up a bit.

This reminded me of afternoon looking at worms.

My brothers and I loved looking for and collecting bugs when we were little (my favorites were worms and rolly pollies, obviously). Anyways, there was this one afternoon when I was maybe 15 and my brother Logan was 13 (so we weren't that little anymore apparently) and it had just rained and we decided that all the worms needed saving. So we took off and tried to pick up all the worms from the sidewalk around our house and put them back in the grass so they wouldn't dry up when the sun came back.
We didn't get all of them but we rescued a good amount in our neighborhood and rejoiced thereafter. Probs with ice cream.

I was remembering that afternoon when I again began to empathize with worms a decade later.

And so on that day, by myself, I picked up a worm and put it back in the grass.
And then I put a few more in the grass.
I couldn't get them all.
But I felt like I was at least making a difference to a few of them.

Now the questions:
Why did Logan and I spend an hour trying to unbeach worms when when we couldn't possibly get them all? Why did I pick up a dozen worms when there were hundreds I couldn't save?

Well, because it mattered to the ones that were rescued.
One by one.

Lives are more about individuals than masses.

So why am I telling this story and story within a story?
First, to let you know this is called Mise en abyme.
Second, because worms are like people.

Not in the manner of the number of physical appendages we have, but in that sometimes we stuck on the sidewalk, lacking the resources to bring ourselves to safety.

I just watched the Netflix series Thirteen Reasons Why, which despite an excess of vulgar language, really touched me, even more than the book had when I'd read it in middle school.

It deals with and portrays some hard issues, like rape, assault, suicide, bullying, parent-child relationships, and loss.
None of those things were pretty.
They are just raw.

These people in the series get left out on the sidewalk to dry up in the harsh, unyielding sun.
And it's hard to find someone to save them.


But here's the thing: it just takes one person to rescue them.
To save them from a place they can't escape from by themselves.

One person can't save all the worms. But one person can do a lot.
A lot to remind people that they are valued and loved--to stand up instead of stand by, to share some kind words, to ask someone to hang out with you, to listen, to ask.

Thirteen reasons to save worms?
1. We have arms and legs and they don't. (figuratively, in case you missed the earlier analogy)
2. Vulnerability should not be punished.
3. Every creature is born worthy of love and belonging.
4. We are not alone on our journeys.
5. We all need to know we are not alone.
6. We don't know how they got there or what is going on in their lives.
7. To make the world brighter, have courage and be kind. Not generally speaking, but for individuals.
8. Worms are daughters, sons, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends, and most importantly, humans. (again, but on your figurative glasses)
9. Some time we will be the worms and will need help.
10. WE ARE NOT ALONE.
11. Hurt and pain are real.
12. Little things make a big difference.
13. You never know the good that you can do.


So maybe that's why I was filled with so much empathy for those worms on the sidewalks. Because those worms remind me of us.
Of me.

Please, don't hold back kind words. Do hold back biting, mean, and derisive remarks. Treat others like human beings regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, reputation, or culture.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Be someone who tips the scales in their favor.
And helps them make it to the grass.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things I like about Indiana

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

And help me not to fall into the abyss...