"You look like you walked off of a Christmas card!" and Other Things People Tell Me in December

I was diagnosed with OCD (Obsessive Christmas Disorder) when I was a junior in high school, but I guess it started sooner than that. 

In love.

When I made my friends take a fake family Christmas photo.




















I remember going shopping with my mom not because I particularly liked buying things, but because December always offered beautiful Christmas displays and let's not forget the magic holiday patterns that fabric stores flaunted. I made my little brother sleep under the Christmas tree with me weeks before Christmas day just because the lights were oh-so-lovely. Making gifts for friends and family filled most of my spare time outside of homework and school.
The skirt that started it all, circa 2008

And then came the skirts

I think I sewed my first Christmas skirt when I was a freshman in high school. It was black with candy canes and I wore it on Black Friday and maybe two others times throughout the month. I was thrilled to discover that sewing A-line skirts was about as easy as sewing pillowcases. 

Then two years later, I sewed four more in a frenzied fit of Christmas spirit and there was no going back. Every day included some sort Christmas paraphernalia (composed of various jewelry, skirts, leggings, and sweaters). Embarrassingly, I even created a fake profile page on Facebook for Chris Tmas and was "Facebook official" with him each December. 

Marry Christmas? Don't mind if I do.


    During my senior year, I made ornaments for my history teachers and bought 3,000 snowflake stickers I would clandestinely sneak onto all my friends during school and parties. "Christmasing" was a suitable explanation when my parents asked what I was doing over the weekend.

     I think my mom was worried that my affinity for elf culture was coming on a little too strong, but she adjusted and learned to embrace my OCD, as did the rest of my family. 







My English teacher's parting words to me when I finished high school were, "I always loved seeing your Christmas outfits."

Today, I own two Christmas dresses, seven Christmas skirts, and one ugly elf sweater. 

Oh plus the two other Christmas dresses I *accidentally* bought online last week that should be arriving shortly. 
Pictures forthcoming.


I love Christmas. 
Spread the spirit.
I love the lights.
The music.
The service.
The snow.
The peppermint infused chocolate.
The chocolate infused peanut butter.
The Christmas markets.
The crafts. 
The cards.
The lights.
Caroling.
The wrapping paper.
The tinsel. 
The children's stories.
The traditions.
The advent calendars.
The Christmas trees.
The opportunity to yell MERRY CHRISTMAS at every passerby.
Did I mention the lights?

I dress festively to help me feel the lovely holiday feels and make the world feel different and special at this time of year.

Newest skirt, circa 2016

Which means pretty much every time I've left the house I look...well, like Christmas. 

Here are some comments that friends, cashiers, professors, co-workers, strangers, bus drivers, airport security, and other random people have said to me over the past few weeks.

"You look like you walked off of a Christmas card!"

"You look very...festive." 

"You're like the poster child for Christmas!"

"Wow, where do you get your clothes?" (in a tone that did not seem like a compliment...)

"You are the spirit of Christmas."

Last day as an undergrad and first Christmas dress
"So do you organize your closet by holiday?"

"You are so cute!" 

"That is a very... eccentric dress."


It's an exciting time of the year to go out in public and pretend I'm part of the cast of the latest Christmas special.

I start happy-crying (or something like unto it) every time I see a beautiful Christmas tree or strings of lights or someone starts singing a Christmas song. Oh, and last Sunday I ate nine gingersnaps at a Christmas music concert so if that's not in line with the spirit of Christmas, I don't know what is. 

Merry Christmas. I hope this season is full of joy, love, and giving for you and that even more than the silly and wonderful things of the month, you feel the spirit of Christ as well.
#feelinfestive #tistheseason #lighttheworld #partelf

The Provo Christmas market with a little Christmas house


Elf sweater+reindog and Santa



My happy place.

"Why?"


My dad bought me a matching elf shirt this year. #noshame


Second Christmas skirt+matching dog, circa 2010
Tinsel skirt.



 P.S. Throwback to last year when I made a series of Commie Christmas parodies because what else does one do without school?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I like about Indiana

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

And help me not to fall into the abyss...