The Spirit of Christmas


I think it was 2007.
I was running Christmas errands with my mom and was still under the impression that I could sew. We had stopped at Johann’s and Christmas fabric was on sale. I asked my mom how easy it would be to make a Christmas skirt. She said "pretty easy."

I bought some black fabric with red and green candy canes and went home to sew my first skirt (she was right—pillowcases and skirts are probably the easiest things to sew and thus the only things I can make). I wore it once a week throughout December and decided this was a good thing.

The next year I went back to Johann’s and bought enough fabric to make four more skirts to sport throughout the month.

Or maybe it was 2009. I invited a friend to go “Christmasing” with me. Which basically meant we drove to Target and spent hours ooh-ing and ah-ing at, trying on, and buying apparel, which we then put up all over my bedroom as well as screaming giddily at all of the Christmas lights we passed while driving (which I still do). I also think that was the year that I created a Facebook profile for “Chris Tmas” and set my relationship status as dating him. #marryeverything #embarrassingbutcute



Or was it earlier than that?


Was it 2003? The year before I had found out Santa wasn’t real and instead of being devastated or sad, I was so excited to create an atmosphere for my little brother to still believe in Santa. I insisted that we leave flour on the fireplace to “catch” Santa’s tracks and after my brother went to bed, my parents helped me stomp big boot prints into the flour and across the house. He and I were both gleeful in the morning to find evidence of Christmas magic. I'd never felt so giddy. 



Whenever it was, Christmas made its way into my soul.




I’ve been thinking about what makes Christmas so special to me.

 
It’s a lot of little things.


Twinkling lights remind me that small lights are often the prettiest, especially when strung together; it’s a lot of little good things that keep out darkness.

Cheesey Christmas movies remind me that Christmas miracles still exist (however outlandish they may appear).

Christmas carols remind me how to worship and celebrate through music.

Wrapping Christmas presents reminds me of unseen or hidden gifts that come in all shapes and sizes.

Nativities of all kinds remind me that Jesus is the Savior of the whole world, that expressions of faith can extend beyond cultural constructs.

Public holiday décor displays remind me of a shared sense of community.

Traditions remind me of stability of amongst change and the nostalgia that comes from thinking about Christmas pasts.
 
Christmas parties remind me of all the many diverse ways we can celebrate one thing.

The Christmas story in the Bible reminds me of Jesus Christ’s unique mission and that he came to earth in such a lowly state because he loves us.

Christmas crafts remind me of all the things I can create with my hands to spread cheer to those around me.

Snow reminds me of new beginnings.

Christmas decorations at home remind me that the normal is actually extraordinary, that the banal is actually sacred.



My 2018 Christmas wardrobe consists of 6 handmade Christmas skirts (two are originals from my high school days), 4 Christmas dresses (you know those ones that pop up as ads on Facebook? Oh wait, that’s just me…?), one pair of Christmas leggings, one ugly sweater, and lots of jewelry that jingles.

It’s one of the ways that reminds me that this time of the year is different, that it’s special. There’s something about being “festive” for a month that adds magic to normal life.

Christmas is not a day, but a state of mind.

I love this time of year, where in the busyness of things people still look for ways to slow down, where dazzling light displays adorn buildings, where people are more willing to think of what they can give to others, where special sounds, scents, and feels fill the air.


Trying to keep Christmas in my heart all year round in addition to on my clothes during this month.
Be a Scrooge. Because a Scrooge is one who learns to embrace these lessons and live with the spirit of Christmas, the spirit of giving. 



 



 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I like about Indiana

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

And help me not to fall into the abyss...