How to be Socially Happy Again

Well, it's been a little harder adjusting back to college life than I previously thought.
Don't get me wrong, I still love being here and know that this is where I belong right now.
It's just different from last year. A lot different. If last year were a type of bird, it would be a flamingo. This year, it would be an ostrich. That's how different they are.
So I've kind of stayed in the cave that I burrowed into this summer and I'm in the process of digging myself out right (using only spoons). Here is my plan of action for how to be happier and more social:

  • Smile lots. At random people. Even if they're an awkward couple and I'm by myself. (don't smile creepily though; only normal smiles are permitted at this point)
  • Say hello to people I pass on my runs.  
  • Make friends with new roommates (we haven't really been home together so I feel like I don't know them yet). Extra credit: share something personal. I usually don't do that. Even when I'm not trying to climb out of a cave simultaneously.
  • Meet neighbors in my building
  • Make friends with people in dinner group this week
  • Invite another apartment over for dessert or games or accept an invitation from someone else to do something social (more likely the latter)
  • Make an effort to be interested in boys again. Don't mope about those not here. Because they're gone for a long time. And there are lots of great guys here at the present, so give them a chance.
  • Embrace awkwardness as much as it permits new friendships to form in my life.
That's where I'm starting. We'll see where I get in a week.SSocia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I like about Indiana

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

And help me not to fall into the abyss...