The Love of Christmas vs. Blood Clots, Finals, and Car Problems

Some weeks, everything seems to happen.
Except the potential alien invasion that never seems to happen.
But this week, everything else seemed to happen.
Everything plus Christmas-ness that is.

Like taking three finals in twenty-four hours as the finale to my semester.


And like getting a blood clot in my leg as a delayed side effect from previous vein procedures (which had gone unnoticed through finals week until after my last test when I noticed a hard, painful, red lump on my calf).

 And like car transmission problems the day before we planned on driving home (fewer situations make me feel more insecure and ignorant than car shops).
 
And like getting stuck in traffic for an hour on the way home after our car was miraculously repaired (I still don’t understand the science of traffic jams).


Getting through all of those things was a Christmas miracle. But I didn’t really want to focus my blog on those things (even though the worst experiences always make the best stories) because this week is……Christmas!
In case you somehow forgot.

And so why should I pass up the opportunity to share why I love Christmas so darn much?
So in case you didn’t know, here’s why: 

    • The lights. There are few things more magical than glowing white or colored lights on dark nights.
    • The decorations. There are few things more beautiful than nativity scenes, ornaments, decorated pine trees, garland, tinsel, and nutcrackers.
    • The music. There are few things better than 300 different renditions of your favorite Christmas carols.
    • The movies. There are few things better than Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Santa Paws (okay just kidding about that last one—stick with the classics)
    • The food. There are few things tastier than chocolate and peppermint together.
    • The cheer. There are few things more precious than pure charity, human goodness, and simple service.
    • The stories. There are few things better than being touched and inspired by examples of Christ-like kindness, even if they happen to be fictional characters.
    • The presents and the presence. There are few things better than giving gifts and cards and Christmas stickers to those I love and appreciating their presence.
    • The traditions. There are few things happier than the comfort, security, and joyful memories associated with my 22 years of Christmas traditions.
    • The living Christ. There are no things better than the hope, peace, light, and power of redemption that Jesus Christ brought into the world. I am so thankful for the gift of His perfect life and for His ultimate sacrifice that makes salvation possible. Although I try to make Christ the center of my life all the time, I love this month to focus even more on how to do that and have more opportunities to feel and share His love.



    So that’s why Christmas is great.
    And by great, I mean the most wonderful time of the year.

    And I’ll definitely remember this Christmas as the one where I almost didn’t make it home after surviving a series of grueling tests and a blood clot but Christmas miracles once again saved the day. I look forward to next year’s adventures.

    Merry Christmas dear world.

    And Christmas on.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Things I like about Indiana

    How to feed your child and get repeatedly ill while doing it

    The ninth month, birth, and postpartum