First time for everything

Sometimes I forget how habitual life becomes. Rocking the same old things.
And sometimes I think, wow, I've tried a lot of new things in the past decade.
And then life shows me I haven't tried nearly enough things.

Especially things like buying food.

Ordering food is pretty normal for your standard American.
Like using a drive-through or calling someone to make you a pizza in exchange for money.
Heck, I don't even know if drive-through should be spelled like that or drive-thru.
Poor, sheltered Claire had never done those things though.
Until circumstances in the past six months forced her out of habitual eating habits.

Because there's got to be a first time for everything.

I know, you're thinking I live under a rock.

Let me assure you I am much too picky about places of dwelling to live under a rock.

So I don't usually eat fast food. Because I like cooking and I can be somewhat of a health nut when it comes to eating out. But my dear brother loves fast food, and this ardor led to my first experience using a drive-through. I've sat in the passenger or back seat at driver-throughs before, but never have I had to find the nerve to talk to a food board through a microphone and demand substance.

That all changed when my brother and I were driving around running errands and he suddenly exclaimed that he needed something from McDonalds.

Right away.

Knowing that since I was sitting in the driver's seat, it was my responsibility to order food, I cautiously made my way to the nearest McDonalds and tried not to panic. Despite the simplicity of ordering food from your car and my brother trying to coach me through the order, I think I still did it wrong. The conversation went something like this:

"Hi, how may I help you?"
"Uh...hi. Um, yes, can I have a...burger. Jalapeno burger? To go?"
"Anything else for you?"
"OKAYTHANKSBYE."

He got his stinkin' burger, so can't complain there.


Ordering pizza was slightly more successful. Meaning our ordering conversation was longer.
I like pizza. But again, I usually make it or steal someone else's (in the most legal of senses). And since I feel slightly nervous demanding food from plastic billboards, I also feel slightly bad requesting food on the phone from someone I've never met. But I really wanted pizza.


 I thought about calling my older brother to ask him how to order a pizza since I knew he was educated in such a manner, but then I thought to myself, "I'm an adult," and called Two Jacks Pizza instead. The conversation went something like this:

"Hi, Two Jacks Pizza, how can I help you?"
"Um, hi. My name is...I mean, can I order a pizza here?"
"...Yes..."
"Oh, good. I want one."
"Toppings? Size?"
"Um. Medium. What kinds of toppings do you have? Probably normal ones?"
"Yes..."
"Okay, um, I'll just take mushrooms and peppers."
"Anything else?"
"KTHANKSBYE."

And I got my pizza.

And now I have crossed drive-throughs and ordering pizza off of my bucket list (though a trip to Disneyland still remains untouched...).
No matter how old you get, there has to be a first time for everything. 
#adulting #lifeskills


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things I like about Indiana

And help me not to fall into the abyss...

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief