Grandmotherly Dating Advice

I have the coolest grandparents, no question about it. They are all incredibly kind and gifted and open-minded and let’s not forget hilarious.

I want to highlight my Grandma Jeri Woodward in this post--one of the great examples in my life: smart, feisty, funny. We are kindred spirits, so I value her opinion in all matters highly. And she’s given me an awful lot of dating advice since I came home from my mission two years ago.

Because let’s be real, I need it. #growingintomyawkwardness

Sometimes I ask for it, sometimes she just gives it to me.

That whole dating thing can be pretty hard and usually I think (okay, let’s be real here--I know) I’m doing it wrong but hey, she’s been married for over 60 years so she knows a thing or two.

Anyways, I’ve been listening to her sage dating wisdom over the years and if so you struggle with dating, maybe these seven helpful tips are for you too:

  1. Don’t underestimate the power of physical attraction.

As she recalls, when she met my grandpa--”it was purely physical attraction.” But hey, it’s kept them together.

  1. Be as flirtatious as possible.
And no, pretending to be inanatimite objects in social settings is not flirting.

  1. People weren’t made to be celibate.
Enough said, right?

  1. Nab the first one you think you like and find out if he is gay. Go from there.
You just want to make sure before you jump into something.

  1. Find someone playful, but not completely foolish.
My grandma, the playful one.
Because no one wants to date an idiot, but kind teasing can produce great affection.

  1. Be able to have intellectual conversations with people you like.
If they are illiterate by choice, you gotta throw them out.

  1. Don’t date anyone like Donald Trump, no matter how much money he has.
Or anyone who is voting for Donald Trump for that matter. Marry poor if it means he will make you happy and not deport your immigrant neighbors.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I like about Indiana

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

And help me not to fall into the abyss...