CAN'T YOU SEE I'M A NERVOUS WRECK and other t-shirts I need

I started my first week back at college with a small breakdown.
Nothing big.
Just a few nervous tears.
A pounding heart.
Some trembling hands.
An obnoxiously loud voice in my head telling me I was not fit to be here.
As I sat on a couch on campus.
Trying to look like I was definitely not having a minor freak out session.
Which obviously failed.

I love my job as a first-year mentor and partly because of this job, I took a second job teaching German 101 at BYU. You would think that being asked to teach German would be a no-brainer to accept; I was obviously excited about the theoretical prospect when it first came up, but as winter semester drew closer, I got more and more… panicked.

Because as it turns out, the only teaching I’d ever done was on my mission. And teaching people about Jesus Christ with the help of the Holy Ghost seemed a lot simpler than teaching students who are paying tuition to learn German.

I started Monday with my daily affirmation (inspired by Jessica’s daily affirmation, though my pajamas were not nearly as cute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg ) and headed off to campus to try to figure out exactly how I was supposed to teach German.

Unfortunately, I failed in this endeavor because I didn’t get a chance to figure out how to use my classroom’s technology before the needed classroom was taken.
I waited awkwardly outside the room for a few precious minutes during passing period, kind of expecting someone to help me for some reason (sadly, I’d forgotten my THIS IS MY FIRST DAY OF TEACHING PLEASE HELP ME t-shirt as well as my CAN'T YOU SEE I'M A NERVOUS WRECK t-shirt) and then I’d waited too long and my chance was gone.

I dejectedly left the building and found the couch where the aforementioned mini-breakdown was mentioned and wondered if it was too late to quit.
Because for some reason my mind tends to blow things out of proportion when I’m feeling especially vulnerable.

I took some deep breaths and said a prayer (which continued throughout the day because no way was I going to face any of this newness alone) and then thought about why I took this job. And I realized that part of the reason was because of my mentoring job, which has inspired me to stretch and grow and try new things more than most other activities in my life has so far. So ironically if I had decided to decline this job and commit all my time to mentoring, I would have missed out on all the mentoring lessons that I’ve been learning while teaching German this week..

I therefore pushed forward, deciding that with or without a THIS IS MY FIRST DAY OF TEACHING PLEASE HELP ME t-shirt, it would be okay. The class I teach finally rolled around at 1:00pm and despite still feeling slightly nauseous, I did it.
I taught a class.
And made 103 mistakes in 50 minutes.
But I did it.
And I did it again the next day. And the next day. And the next day.
And guess what?
I LOVED it. It just got better and better.
I learned from my mistakes. I had awesome students. I embraced creativity and vulnerability. I realized I’d keep making mistakes but as long as I viewed them as ways to grow and didn’t let them hinder me, I’d become a better teacher.
And then hopefully no students would say that I was not only a terrible teacher, but a terrible human being on their student evaluations at the end of the semester. #irrationalfearsstrikeagain

I ended my first week back at college with my favorite chick-flick, Confessions of a Shopaholic.
Smiling on the couch.
Laughing and feeling good with my roommates.
Vicariously experiencing minor pain and joy and love.
And also embracing my own first-hand.
Trying to take it all one-step at a time while still breathing it all in.



Thinking about the paradoxes in my life.

And preparing for the future beautiful disasters heading my way.


For if we were cool and confident in every new situation and with every choice, “we would miss out on ‘essential personal growth’ that comes ‘as [we] struggle to learn how to be led [and comforted] by the Spirit.'”
                           -Richard G. Scott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Death and A Lot of Grief

How to feed your child and get repeatedly ill while doing it

The ninth month, birth, and postpartum